We participate in on-campus interviews organized by law schools across Canada. Please note that if we are participating in on-campus interviews at your university (please check with your Careers Office to confirm our attendance), we will contact you in accordance with your university's guideline dates.
The interview is a relaxed, but business-like meeting with the interviewer spending the first part of your time together learning more about you. It's very likely that you'll be asked to go into more detail about information on your resume, so you should be prepared to speak about topics ranging from school to elaborating on your extracurricular interests.
The second part of the interview is your turn. This gives you an opportunity to find out more about us, and we welcome any questions.
We collect applications, contact students selected for in-firm interviews, and interview candidates in accordance with the Vancouver Bar Association guidelines.
The dates for the Vancouver 2L summer 2020 recruitment are:
- Application Deadline: Wed, Sept 4, 2019
- ITC (Intention to Call) E-mails: 8am PT on Tue, Oct 1, 2019 to 8pm PT on Wed, Oct 2, 2019
- Interview Call Day: 8am PT Thurs, Oct 3, 2019
- Blackout Period: Mon, Sept 30, 2019 to Sun, Oct 21, 2019
- In-Firm Interview Week: Mon, Oct 21, 2019 to Wed, Oct 23, 2019
- Job Offer Day: 8am PT Thurs, Oct 24, 2019
The dates for the Vancouver 2020/2021 articling recruitment are:
- Application Deadline: Fri, June 28, 2019
- ITC (Intention to Call) E-mails: 8am PT on July 10, 2019 to 8pm PT on Thurs, July 11, 2019
- Interview Call Day: 8am PT Fri, July 12, 2019
- Blackout Period: Mon, July 29, 2019 to Sun, Aug 11, 2019
- In-Firm Interview Week: Mon, Aug 12, 2019 to Wed, Aug 14, 2019
- Job Offer Call Day: 8am PT Thurs, Aug 15, 2019
- Law Society of BC Job Offer Date (Law Society Rule 2-58): 8am Fri, Aug 16, 2019
Firms can begin making calls at 8:00 am on Interview Call Day. Be prepared! These calls will be quick and to the point, as you'll have other calls coming in and we'll be calling all the students we hope to see. On call day, it's advisable that you disconnect any answering devise and disable call waiting. Most firms, us included, prefer to get a busy signal so we know to call you back and don't worry, we'll call until we get you in person. We'll follow up by sending you a letter confirming the details of the interview. You should be aware that some firms, us included, only schedule first interviews on Call Day.
It's a safe bet that you'll be able to comfortably do four interviews a day. A good rule of thumb is to schedule interviews in two hour increments. This leaves time in between to gather your thoughts, and to travel and prepare for your next interview.
The In-Firm Interview
This is your opportunity to see us in our office environment, meet lots of our people, and find out for sure if we are a good match.
These tips might help you get the most out of the experience:
- Scope out the locations ahead of time and plan your route. Knowing exactly where you're going and how to get there will minimize your stress.
- Make sure your shoes are business-like and comfortable.
- Dress in appropriate business attire and glance in a mirror before each interview to make sure everything is in place.
- Ensure mobile devices are turned off during all interviews and/or dinners or lunches with firms.
- Arrive five-10 minutes early so that you have time to compose yourself before the interview.
- Ask for business cards from those you meet and take notes after each interview so that later you can distinguish one firm from another.