Each year, large law firms in Québec renew a Recruitment Agreement concluded several years ago (the Recruitment Agreement), which establishes a recruitment period in the spring for hiring students for a summer job and articling position. This Recruitment Agreement is uniform for all signatories, including Norton Rose Fulbright Canada. Here are its highlights:
- The Agreement is for students who have completed at least three (3) semesters of full-time studies, i.e., having obtained a minimum of thirty-six (36) credits recognized as part of their law program.
- For these students, the firms agree that no interview will take place before Monday, March 11, 2019, and that no offer of employment for the summer and/or articling will be made directly or indirectly before 8:00 a.m., Monday, March 25, 2019. All offers of employment may not be withdrawn before the expiry of that period, i.e. until 5:00 p.m. the same day.
- Moreover, any hypothetical question before Monday, March 25, 2019 aimed at knowing a student's response to an employment offer is strictly prohibited. Any initiative of a firm to indicate directly or indirectly to a student that an offer will be made to him/her before Monday, March 25, 2019, is strictly prohibited.
* Please note that Norton Rose Fulbright is part of the Special Fall Recruitment Period, the details of which are available from the CDO of your University Faculty of Law.
A word of advice about offers
- If you get an offer from the firm that is your first choice, don't be afraid of seeming over-eager if you accept it on the spot. Your answer is as important to us.
- If you need time to think it over, take the time.
- It is important to inform any firm that made you an offer of your decision, whether you are accepting or declining the offer.